Leiden Observatory invites applications for PhD positions

listmanager at strw.leidenuniv.nl listmanager at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Tue Nov 27 09:36:05 CET 2012

To whom it may
concern:

Leiden Observatory invites applications
for several PhD positions (see
the call below), and we would appreciate it if
you could circulate the call among suitable
candidates at your institute.

Thank you,

Dr. Elena Rossi
Dr. Rychard Bouwens
PhD selection
committee

------
Leiden Observatory invites applications
for  PhD positions

We are pleased to announce a general call
for more than 10 PhD positions with an application deadline
of December 15, 2012.  Application forms and instructions are
available at http://www.strw.leidenuniv.nl/phd/
Applicants are requested to upload a
curriculum vitae, a list of all
university courses taken and transcripts of grades obtained (in English), brief statements of research
interests and experience, and the contact information for at least two
referees.

Leiden Observatory, founded in 1633, is
the oldest university astronomy department in the
world.  With about 25 faculty, over 50 postdoctoral associates and over 60 PhD students it is
the largest astronomy department in the Netherlands.
Leiden is a charming university town with
international flair. Most Leiden researchers have an
international background. English is the common
language.

The four-year PhD program consists mostly
of research under the supervision of one or more
faculty members. Positions are available in all the
research areas in which the Observatory is active. These
include cosmology, galaxy formation and evolution, interstellar
matter and star formation, stars and planetary
systems, computational astrophysics, high energy
astrophysics, laboratory astrophysics,
astrochemistry, and instrumentation. Examples of possible PhD
projects can be found at
http://www.strw.leidenuniv.nl/phd/example_phds.php

During their thesis, Leiden PhD students
are paid as civil servants, which means that they
earn competitive salaries (the current gross salary,
including allowances, increases from about EUR 28,000 in year 1 to about EUR 36,000 in year 4) and are eligible for
both social security and retirement benefits.
 PhD positions are funded for four
years.

The successful candidates must have a MSc
degree (or equivalent) by the starting date. The
starting dates are negotiable.

Complete applications received by December
15, 2012 will receive full
consideration.

As part of our general PhD call, we also
anticipate selecting outstanding candidates to
participate in the Leiden-de Sitter Cosmology Program.
 This is a joint effort with the Leiden Lorentz Institute for
theoretical physics and focuses on the interplay between observational
cosmology and the physics of the early universe.  PhD
students in the de Sitter program will be jointly
supervised by members of the physics and astronomy departments,
and are invited to propose their own research
program.  We hope to appoint at least two
students to this program.  For details, go to
www.leidendesitter.nl.

Outstanding candidates should also
consider applying for a Leiden/Huygens Fellowship.
Note the earlier deadline of December 1st and the
fact that the procedure for applying is separate from our
general call.

The positions are open to candidates from
all countries. The research will be carried out in
the framework of the Netherlands Research School for
Astronomy (NOVA). More information about the PhD program at
Leiden Observatory can be found at http://www.strw.leidenuniv.nl/phd/

Email Inquiries: phdapplications at strw.leidenuniv.nl